This past week I have been babysitting a friends little girl. She and my girls girls get along fairly well, but she is the exact opposite of my girls, and so I find their little conversations very humorous. First thing she does when she gets into my car is demand the radio be turned on...now I know Jenna can be demanding and sometimes forgets to say please or will you, but this little one has down exactly what she wants and is not used to be told no to anything. So I make her say please will you turn on the radio and she does so I put on one of Kayla's kids songs, I then hear her yell from the back HELLO LIKE JUSTIN BIEBER! And this is the part that just made me smile Jenna turns to her and says "We listen to kid songs because we are kids" so I then ask Jenna who Justin Bieber is and she tells me no she has never heard of him....I have to say I was proud of that, I want to keep my girls little for as long as possible I don't want them growing up too fast and I don't want them idolizing anyone like Justin Bieber, Hanna Montana or any other teen idol our society says our children need to worship.
I sat with Jenna and watched a ICarly show the other day and I hate to admit it but I thought it was kinda funny. Then as I thought about it and as I watched a few other of those type of shows I began to realize that 1. they make parents/teachers or any adult for that matter look stupid and 2. I strongly believe the writers of these shows degrade all men in general but they especially degrade the role of the Father and they make him out to be an idiot. This is something that bothers me greatly and something that I have been thinking about lately. For example I got a add in the mail the other day and on the title it said "So easy even a man could do it" now I know their are somethings I am better at than Justin and there are equally as many things he is better at than I am, but if something came in the mail with the saying "So easy even a women could do it" I would be highly offend and would never think of buying that product! I never want my girls to view adults in the way these shows portray them and while I don't like the idea of banning my kids from watching TV I do think waiting till they are older, more mature and limiting viewing time is the better way to go.
I want my girls to stay innocent and little, I don't want them growing up too fast! They are going to be grown ups in a few short years and they will never get their childhood back! I want that childhood to be filled with, fairies, princesses, playing outside and using their imagination! So yes I do smile when asked about DS systems, tween idol stuff and the latest songs on the radio that my girls don't know a thing about them. For me seeing them singing nursery rhymes and playing for hours with little people, ponies and putting together elaborate puppet shows is exactly where I want them to be right now!
No comments:
Post a Comment